The beef stew recipe slow cooker is not about someone who cooks slowly. A slow cooker is known as Crock-Pot (also known as a trademark used in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand) is an electrical cooking appliance. It requires a relatively low temperature to cook, especially meats and it allows the cooker to leave the slow cooker unattended for hours. It is also suitable for cooking soups, boiled dinners and other liquid cooking or dishes including beverages, dips, and desserts.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew is probably one of the most popular recipes used for the slow cooker. There are many different variations with many different ingredients. One reason it is so popular is because you can use a cheaper cut of meat and the long, slow cooking makes it juicy and tender. You could try out all the different recipes for beef stew and see which one your family likes the best. They will probably like all of them, but there will probably be one that is their favorite.
- Your guide to beef stew slow cooker recipe
- How to Use Slow Cooker
- Type Of Stew
- Beef Stew Slow Cooker Recipes
- Beef Stew Recipe Slow Cooker (V2)
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe (V3 – Simple Steps)
History of Slow Cooker
The slow cooker didn’t come and was invented just that way. Back then, it inspired Irving Nixon, the founder of The Utilities Corporation of Chicago to start developing All-Purpose Cooker. He was inspired by his grandmother story who was native Lithuanian and how she cooked a stew called cholent and it needed several hours to cook in an oven.
In 1970, the Rival Company bought Nixon and reintroduced it to customers with a new name called Crock-Pot. A slow cooker is made of porcelain or ceramic. Back then, a woman was able to cook and wait for several even 12 hours. Actually, nowadays women can also cook for several hours, but things have changed.
Women have more freedom and time to have and start their own future or career path. It means that most of them choose to work, have a career, instead of getting married, staying at home, taking care of babies, homes, and cooking in the kitchen for hours.
Well, they still can prepare the ingredients and cook the heavy meal, but the problem is they must work and they have nobody to wait for the meal to be ready, such as beef stew. By this invention, women are helped a lot. They can start preparing meals for dinner at 6 or 7 AM; put it in the slow cooker for 10 to 12 hours and it will be ready by the time they reach home. The development of technology has helped society to do the same thing but in an efficient and easier way.
Back to Top
Your guide to beef stew slow cooker recipe
The beef stew slow cooker recipe can be your splendid cooking list to serve your appetite. This menu focuses on the mixture of meat and vegetables. Meat contains protein that can stimulate human’s growth, especially for adolescence. Vegetables itself contain mineral, calcium, and fiber that important for human body.
Calories per serving for this menu is quite high, approximately 500 up to 600 calories. Thus, it is more appropriate to use this recipe as your lunch menu. People tend to release many calories during afternoon activities, You can recharge your energy with sufficient calories through this recipe.
Back to Top
How to Use Slow Cooker
The slow cooker is made for stew cooking which combines solid food ingredients with liquid. It can be water, wine, or stock.
For example, you want to cook beef stew for dinner. First of all, you can start preparing the ingredients at 6.30 AM; then start putting them all in the slow cooker at 7 AM. By the time you get home, your beef stew is ready to serve. So that is the simplest example of the beef stew recipe slow cooker.
Back to Top
Types of Stews
Anyway, the stew is not something new in a culinary word. It has been made since the ancient times ranging from 8th to 4th century BC. Amazonian tribes also practice this way as well. They use a turtle’s shell as the vessel, boiling the body part of turtle and add various ingredients.
The common types of stews are white stews which use lamb meat and brown stews which use pieces of red meat added with wine. Some of the stews known from around the world are barbacoa (Mexico); bigos (Poland); Booyah (America); carbonade flatmate (Belgium); Caldeira da (Portugal); bourguignon (France); beef stroganoff (Russia); charqui (Chile); cream stew (Japan), and so on.
Back to Top
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Slow cooker beef stew recipe has been made into delight cooking. Before, it was quite difficult to cook beef in various ways, but now thanks to advanced technology for making everything easier! Before going further, we must know what a stew is. It is the combination of solid food ingredients which has been cooked together in a liquid. We can cook various meats and stew it, but chicken is not really appropriate since its form is weaker than any other meat and the texture is softer as well. Types of meats that can be the cook in a stew are lamb, beef, and fish.
After knowing and having figured out of stew, we can start sharing beef stew recipe for you.
- 2 pounds of beef stew, cut them into one-inch cubes
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic and mince it
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 onion and chop it
- 3 potatoes, dice them
- 4 carrots and slice them
- 1 stalk celery and slice it
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
How to Cook
- Place meat in a slow cooker
- Prepare a small bowl, mix up together the flour, salt, and pepper
- Pour it on top of the meat, stir it in all-purpose flour
- Stir in the garlic, Worcestershire, black pepper, paprika, celery, carrots, bay leaf, potatoes, and beef broth.
- Cover it and cook on low setting for 10 to 12 hours
You can also cook it on high setting, about 4 to 6 hours, depends on your availability to cook. Anyway, cooking beef stew does need a lot of patience since it can spend 12 hours. For the preparation, you need 20 minutes, so all will be ready in 12 hours and 20 minutes. It is enough for 6 servings. So, that’s all for slow cooker beef stew recipe.
Back to Top
Beef Stew Recipe Slow Cooker (V2)
This menu is usually available in the Chinese restaurant. Nevertheless, making your own can also be great things to do.
Preparing your tools and ingredients
Choosing the right meat is important in this recipe. Beef has solid meat structure and thus the cooking process should be done slowly as to get the tasty form of your meet. Currently, there are lots of beef meat varieties. One of the most popular is Wagyu beef meat. The beef is manufactured through special treatment as to have soft and delicious meat. This can be your alternative for a more delicious recipe.
Nevertheless, you should worry about your budget. Wagyu meat cost much higher than the ordinary one, approximately almost two times higher. For ordinary meat, timing is the really important factor. This is necessary to get your desired softness level. For the ingredients, you need to provide carrot, potatoes, onion, flour, canola oil, beef meat, tomato, salt, mustard, pepper and browning sauce.
Start cooking your Beef stew slow cooker recipe
- Chopping your beef and vegetables in the right size is important. This can be determining factors for your cooking duration.
- You need approximately 4-6 liter water to boil your beef. After 1 up to 2 hours, you can put vegetables in the skillet. While waiting for the boiling, you can make the sauce for your stew. For the sauce, you can put mustard, browning sauce, onion, canola oil, and tomato. The boiling process takes approximately 4 up to 5 hours.
- After you have done the sauce, you can pour it over the boiled meat and vegetables. Don’t forget to taste the sauce first before pouring it.
- Now, all you need to do is waiting and checking your stew periodically. Making this menu requires your patience for sure. It is not suggested to do other hectic activities while waiting since it requires your full attention.
Perhaps, you can only watch television while waiting for your beef stew slow cooker recipe.
Try the Beef Stew Slow Cooker Recipe in Simple Steps
Rather than to buy in the restaurant, now you can try to make a beef stew slow cooker recipe by yourself. It is not too difficult to do if you know what ingredients you need and the steps of how to make it.
The first thing you should do is to prepare the ingredients. They are:
- 2 pounds of beef chuck that must be cut into pieces with size of 1 ½ inch,
- 1/3 more cup of flour,
- black pepper which is freshly ground,
- 1tsp of sweet paprika,
- 3tbs of olive oil,
- 1 chopped onion,
- 2tbs of tomato paste,
- the halved 1 pound of small potatoes and ½ pound of cremini mushrooms,
- 3 carrots that are chopped into dices,
- 2 cups of beef broth,
- red wine,
- fresh thyme,
- and parsley leaves.
How to make it:
- Step one is to toss beef with salt, pepper, and paprika. After it, coat the beef with flour. Then, use the large skillet to heat the oil as much as 2 tablespoons of cooking the beef. You should cook the beef for 3 minutes or more until it mostly browned on both sides.
- Step two is to take the beef and put it in the other place. Use the slow cooker of 6-squart and put the mushrooms, onions, potatoes and carrots in it and stir all of those vegetables.
- Step three is to make the sauce use the fillet. Heat the oil and add the tomato paste. Cook it for a minute until the paste turns into brick red. Pour the flour and wine and continue to cook it until thick. If it has been thick, you can add the beef broth and thyme. If the sauce is tasteless, you can add pepper and salt. You should cook the sauce for 4 minutes. In order to make all ingredients for sauce mixed well, you have to stir it while cooking. When the sauce is thick and smooth, remove the skillet from the stove.
- Step four is to pour the sauce into the slow cooker that has been filled with vegetables and beef. Cover the cooker to make the cooking process faster, so the dish will be tastier. To make the beef and tender the cooking must proceed for about 8 hours in low heat. After 8 hours, open the cover and season more with pepper, salt and parsley.
Then, the last step, you can serve it in a bowl with sour cream and the sprinkle of paprika dices on it.
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 2 lbs. of beef stew meat
- 1 small can (4oz.) of mushrooms
- 1 can of undiluted cream of mushroom soup
- 1/3 cup of red or white wine
- 1 envelope (1 oz.) of dry onion soup mix
Combine ingredients. Add to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 12 hours. Serve over hot noodles.
Tips: The flavor will be enhanced if the meat is browned or seared first in a pan with a small amount of olive oil. Don’t add extra wine as it doesn’t evaporate like it would on a pan on top of the stove. Apple juice can be substituted for the wine if desired. Also, a liner can be used inside the crock pot for easy cleanup. If you take the lid off to check on the meal, do it quickly as this drops the temperature inside the crock pot and you may need to add 20 minutes of cooking time.
Classic Slow Cooker Beef Stew for a large Crowd
- 3 lbs. beef stew meat
- 1 16oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 ribs of celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ lb. sliced smoked sausage
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup chicken broth
Combine ingredients and cook on low for 8 to 12 hours or high 4 to 6 hours.
One hour before serving add herbs or spices that you prefer such as thyme and parsley. Also, mix 2 tablespoons of flour in ¼ cup water and add to stew and stir thoroughly to help the stew to thicken. Another way to thicken the stew is to add ¼ cup quick cooking tapioca in the beginning of the cooking process.
Important tips: Sear meat in a pan before adding the ingredients for extra flavor. To sear: start by heating olive oil in a pan. Coat beef with flour, salt and pepper and then cook until meat is brown on all sides. Cook quickly on a high heat for just a few minutes until there is a caramelized coating. Drain and then add to remaining ingredients. Another important tip is to cut all the ingredients the same size to allow for even cooking. You may want to experiment and sauté the vegetable in the pan that you browned the meat for a few minutes for added flavor, although this is not necessary. You can also line the slow cooker with special liners made for slow cookers and cleanup will become a breeze.
100 % FRESH AND DELICIOUS GROUND BEEF RECIPES
You Can Also Read: Roast Beef Recipe Slow Cooker