This is a good old fashioned Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe. When the craving for these delicious cookies strikes, they just can’t be made fast enough.
Peanut butter has been an American favorite ever since its introduction at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair. Peanut butter is so popular that over half the American peanut crop goes into making it.
The classic crisscross pattern on peanut butter cookies makes them instantly recognizable and that ‘sweet and salty’ flavor combination make them irresistible.
Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- If you are going to bake two sheets of cookies at a time, then arrange the racks in your oven to divide it into thirds. For baking with one sheet at a time, put one of the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Beat sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg in large bowl with an electric mixer set on medium.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork dipped into granulated sugar.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. If you are baking two sheets at a time, switch baking pans from top to bottom racks halfway through the cooking time. If you are baking with one sheet at a time then rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time. This will ensure that the cookies cook more evenly.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.
See also Easy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes
Return from Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe to Shaped Cookies