I can remember when I was little, asking my mom if I could put the chocolate kisses on the Hershey Kiss Cookie Recipe. Since the baking tray was hot from being in the oven, she wouldn’t let me do it.
She would say, “You can do something more important, you can take the wrappers off of the chocolate kisses”. This seemed like a fair compromise to me, especially since I got to sneak a few in my mouth when she wasn’t looking.
The real name of this recipe is “Peanut Butter Blossoms” but I could never get the hang of that name, so we just called them Hershey Kiss Cookies.
This is a quick and easy peanut butter cookie recipe. It is definitely a classic cookie recipe that our family will be making for many years to come.
Hershey Kiss Cookie Recipe
- 48 Chocolate Kisses
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar
- If you are going to bake two sheets of cookies at a time, then arrange the racks in your oven to divide it into thirds. For baking with one sheet at a time, put one of the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Heat oven to 375 Degrees F.
- Remove wrappers from chocolates.
- Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. If you are baking two sheets at a time, switch baking pans from top to bottom racks halfway through the cooking time. If you are baking with one sheet at a time then rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time. This will ensure that the cookies cook more evenly.
- Once you take them out of the oven then immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie; the cookie will crack around edges.
- Remove from baking sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Back to cookie recipes
Return from Hershey Kiss Cookie Recipe to Shaped Cookies