Making cookies during the Holidays is something that always brings back special memories- whether its Christmas, Valentines Day or the Fourth of July, soft and chewy sugar cookies are always the number one requested cookie! This sugar cookie recipe is simple and definitely delicious.
Sugar Cookie Icing
This is the perfect sugar cookie icing that hardens and leaves you with amazing tasting cookies every time. The best thing is that you can actually change up this recipe depending on what flavors and textures you like and have the perfect icing year round for all the cookies of the season.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla or lemon extract (choose your favorite)
- assorted food coloring
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.
To prepare your sugar cookie icing take a large ziplock bag and fold the edges over your hand. Spoon the prepared sugar cookie icing into the bag, pressing the icing all the way down to the bottom. When you are ready cut off just the tip of the bottom corner. This is your pastry bag for decorating your Christmas cookies. The large hole you make at the bottom of the bag, the more icing will come out so start with a very small hole and work your way larger or until you can easily maneuver the icing around on the cookies.
Start by piping the corners and edges of the cookie and then slowly work you way in trying not too add too much icing. You can use a tooth pick of fork tip to spread the icing carefully over the cookie. Once you are satisfied with the look, you can decorate it further with sugar crystals or candies. When completely done, let the cookies sit for about 25 minutes or more and the sugar cookie icing should start to show a nice hard shinny beautiful look. Once completely dry you can eat them, give them to friends and family, or even make decorations out them for your Christmas table.
Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookie Recipe
They make the perfect light and chewy cookie that needs nothing else really. Paired with a cold glass of milk, a chilled glass of lemonade, or just another cookie these will be a hit with everyone.
- 1 cup Butter or margarine (softened)
- 2 1/4 cups Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 5 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup Milk
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter and just 2 cups of the sugar. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl combine together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and 1 tsp of cardamon. Add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- In another small bowl, combine together remaining sugar and remaining cardamon.
- Dip round teaspoonfuls of the dough into sugar mixture and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until just lightly browned. Avoid overbaking. Allow to cool on wire racks.