These are big delicious Chocolate Fudge Cookies with a shiny surface and a soft chocolate center. They are sure to please the chocoholic in you.
The batter is made differently than most drop cookies. You first start by whipping air into the sugar and eggs (similar to a sponge cake batter). Flour, Melted butter and Chocolate, are then folded in.
The batter needs to be chilled so it is firm enough to form into cookies. You could make the batter a day ahead if you like.
The main thing to remember with Chocolate Fudge cookies is not to over bake them or they will be dry. They are done when the surface of the cookies have cracked but they are still shiny.
You may want to bake one cookie first in order to get an accurate cooking time.
Chocolate Fudge Cookie Recipe
Chocolate Fudge Cookies
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder (optional)
- 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in center of oven.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly brown and fragrant. Watch them carefully, they can burn easily.
- Let nuts cool and then chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Combine together the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, and Espresso Powder into small bowl. Set aside
- Gently melt the Chocolate and Butter in a double boiler or a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the Sugar and Eggs until thick and creamy (5 minutes).
- Beat in the Melted Chocolate mixture and Vanilla extract.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to the chocolate batter until just mixed together
- Stir in the Chocolate Chips and Toasted Pecans
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the batter until firm, about 30 minutes.
- If you are going to bake two sheets of Chocolate Fudge Cookies at a time, then arrange the racks in your oven to divide it into thirds. For baking with one sheet at a time, put one of the oven racks in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. (a regular sized ice cream scoop works well)
With moist fingers, press batter to form 3 1/2 round patties.
- Bake cookies about 12 – 14 minutes or until the tops of the cookies become dry and cracked, but are still shiny. Do not over bake these cookies. If you are baking with two sheets at a time, switch baking pans from top to bottom racks halfway through the cooking time. If you are baking with one sheet at a time then rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time. This will ensure that the cookies cook more evenly.
- Remove from oven and place baking sheet on a wire rack to cool until cookies are firm.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet and let cool completely on rack.
Makes about 24 large cookies.
See Also : Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes
Return to Drop Cookies