Christmas time is almost upon us and what would the Holiday be without special sugar cookies for the kids and Santa to enjoy?? These delicious cookies have a bit of a grown-up taste with almond extract and make for the perfect cookie exchange treat. You can exchange vanilla for the almond if you don’t enjoy the flavor. This dough also requires refrigeration so the easy thing is to make it a day in advance or in the morning so the kids can make these yummy cookies in the afternoon and decorate them with sugar sprinkles, frosting or that fantastic sugar cookie icing I love so much. Enjoy!
* 2 1/2 cups Flour
* 1 cup Sugar
* 1 stick butter- room temperature
* 1 1/2 ts Baking powder
* 1/4 ts Salt
* 1/2 ts Almond extract
* 1 Egg
* 1/2 cup Green sugar crystals
* 1/4 cup Confetti or fun candies
- Put flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, salt, almond extract and egg into a large bowl of an electric mixer. Mix together, using low speed. Dough will be crumbly.
- Then knead dough with hands until mixture holds together.
- Remove the dough and create 3 logs using your hand and wax paper. Wrap each log well and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove refrigerated dough one at a time and roll out using a floured rolling pin keeping the thinking at about 1/4 inch. Using a cookie cutter, cut out Christmas tree shapes and other fun shapes you like. Put cookies about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.(related : best Christmas cookie recipes
- Sprinkle each cookie lightly with candy decorations and sugar crystals if desired or wait until baked and frost with sugar cookie icing and sprinkles.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Carefully remove to wire racks. Cool completely.
You May Also Read Simple Cookie Recipe For Kids
OR This Delicious Halloween Cookie Recipes